Quick Exit
Rochdale Borough Safeguarding Children Partnership logo Rochdale Borough Safeguarding Adults Board logo

Living With Another Family?

For Children and Young People

If you are under 16, and have been living for more than 28 days with someone who is not a close relative, then you are being privately fostered.

The local council needs to know who is looking after you and where you live. This is because UK law says that the council must make sure that every child is safe and properly cared for.

Find out more at Private Fostering | Our Rochdale

private fostering leaflet cover

For Parents and Carers

What is Private Fostering?

Private fostering is when a child under 16 (or under 18 if disabled) is living with someone who is not a close relative for 28 days or more. This might be a friend, a great aunt, a cousin or someone else known to the child. 

Even though this is a private arrangement, the law says that the local authority must ensure your child is safe and well cared for.

If you are thinking of placing your child in a private fostering arrangement, you must tell the local authority at least 6 weeks beforehand or in case of an emergency placement, within 48 hours of the placement beginning. If the arrangement has already started, you must contact Rochdale Borough Council immediately.

Private Fostering - Your Questions Answered

For more information on private fostering visit Coram Academy website.

Index of all pages: